Saturday, June 26, 2010

i never thought this life was possible

the heat comes easily and we all move so quickly to the front porches and the middle of lakes where we can sing and yell and say so this is why we made it through winter. we sat on gloriously old rugs smelling of nagchampa and nectarines and i looked up and loved minnesota and its bowling alleys where waitresses dance in lieu of taking orders and its rivers that sneak up on you and so much swallowed watermelon and climbable trees. i digress, i meant to say: it was me on a plane to chicago, where one of my best friends met me, hair flying everywhere and us, on the road, where i think we're meant to be all the time and wisconsin, a state i forgot i missed, and we flew by all the cheese and fireworks and the remember-whens and i felt so lucky, getting to the twin cities, with so many of my favoritefavorite people. what do you say when you get to watch another best friend filled with so much love that it bounces off her, onto sidewalks and trees and some i'm sure is making its way down main streets in kansas and maybe tennessee and hopefully it will tango its way to the east coast, where we could use reminders that we are so small, we must dance we must laugh when we get poison ivy and drink while we try not to scratch and always drive past our exit and say tomorrow we hit utah. tomorrow, we start all over again. so cheers to you friends, what a world we live in that the universe drop-kicked us all into the same place. how lucky i am to know you all.

3 comments:

Meg said...

I just read this post and the one right before it. Now I am crying a good little cry and I can feel it making me stronger.

I <3 your blog.

me said...

Meg, that comment really means so much to me - thank you thank you. Writing can be so cathartic and, years and years from now, hopefully a beautiful reminder of how far we've come.

Goat Lady said...

Lovely Anna. I only check this periodically, but I like the way I showed up in this one. It was so lovely to share that with you. I wish we had more gatherings. Beautiful, wonderful gatherings. Miss you.